The Sunnyside Heights area is bordered by 168 Street on the east side, 24th avenue on the north side, and Highway 99 on the west side. In total, the area is around 379 acres.
Sunnyside Heights is the second neighbourhood in the Grandview Height community to receive a Neighbourhood Concept Plan (NCP). In 2017, the city council approved the plan which included changes to the land and additions such as density development, parks, community centres, and engineering infrastructure.
The NCP includes:
- Creating a grid-like structure with bicycle lanes and walkways for neighbourhood streets. This will encourage walking as well as less traffic congestion.
- Ensuring proper treatment to 24 Avenue to ensure it does not separate the community.
- Building homing diversity while also creating more affordable housing. Examples include townhouses, apartments, and single-family homes.
- Creating a public plaza with landscaped areas, outdoor furniture, and viewpoints to promote green living as well as socializing.
- Adding tree halls and riparian areas to further promote green living.
- LED street lighting for energy saving tactics.
- Incorporating community history and heritage features through the naming of neighbourhoods as well as designs and art installations.
- Drainage plans to cut back on drastic changes to the land as well as a new pump station on 168 Street.